Summary: We have two tools to help you lookup information on domains quickly
- quick-domain-research.php – See the NS, MX, A records and IPs for multiple domains in one table
- nameserver-compare.php – Compare NS, MX, A records for multiple domains, against multiple Name Servers
Bulk Domain NS, MX and A record lookup tool
Occassionally, we come across some sort of project in which we have to work through a list of multiple domain names and make some sort of changes.
In some cases we simply have to update contact records, in other cases we have to determine ownership, hosting and mail setups so we can assist with an ownership transfer.
There are a plethora of domain tools out there which help one at a time, But we were hard pressed to find a tool that could do a bulk lookup of multiple domains with table based out put.
So, we built the tool
This tool has the
- A records for the root domain (@) and the (www) domain.
- MX records for the root domain
- NS records for the root domain
This tool was thrown together quickly to help us identify whether an OLD but active nameserver, which had dozens of domain names on it, was actually being used for the domains.
We were able to delete more than 20 domains cluttering up the DNS entries.
Additionally we were able to clean up associated webservers that had not been cleaned of hosting accounts after a client left the account.
Some future ideas which will make their way in next time:
- Display whois information for the domain
- Optionally group the domains based on which name servers, whois records or www C class they are hosted at
Update 11/28/2015 by Michael Blood
Since this original post, we have added several new features including the ability to upload a file with a large batch upload, and download a CSV file with the results. You can see all of the details in this Enhanced Bulk Domain NS, MX and A record lookup tool post.