SSL Cipher Suites – Apache config for IE 11
In past posts I showed how I had followed some suggestions from qualsys on configuring Apache to only use specific ciphers in order to pass all of the required security scans.
However it turns out that blindly using their list of Ciphers led to another problem, (displaying the page in IE 11) which I describe the fix to below.
In addition though, the process I go through below, can / will help you trouble shoot and possibly find and enable / disable the Ciphers for any situation and browser.
They suggest setting this SSLCipherSuite:
EECDH+ECDSA+AESGCM EECDH+aRSA+AESGCM EECDH+ECDSA+SHA384 EECDH+ECDSA+SHA256 EECDH+aRSA+SHA384 EECDH+aRSA+SHA256 EECDH+aRSA+RC4 EECDH EDH+aRSA RC4 !aNULL !eNULL !LOW !3DES !MD5 !EXP !PSK !SRP !DSS !RC4
However I found IE 11 was showing “This web page can not be displayed” on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server (probably others as well),
I figured out that the problem was the CipherSuite, by commenting out the SSLCipherSuite line in apache, restarting, and the page loaded.
So the next step was to , with the line commented out, to run the ssllabs test with the SSLCipherSuite commented out,
the result of which I found to show some details about the CipherSuites used by different browsers. I would use this tool to make sure you have the correct CipherSuite for any, all browsers and exclude any older insecure browsers.
If you look down the report to the “Handshake Simulation portion of the report you will find a listing of browsers with the Cipher they used. IE 11/ Win 7 was working EVEN BEFORE noticed the ‘can not be displayed’ error, so I went on a hunch and decided to try and enable the IE 8-10 / Win 7 option which showed
I googled “openssl TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA” which brought me to the openssl page where they show all of the ciphers and on this page I found “AES256-SHA” which I needed to include in the Apache SSLCipherSuite directive
Next, to confirm that this cipher is even available on my server, i ran this command
openssl cipher AES256-SHA
which returned a result showing that the cipher was indeed an option on the server
So, I added it towards the end, and the resulting SSLCipherSuite directive I have is:
SSLCipherSuite "EECDH+ECDSA+AESGCM EECDH+aRSA+AESGCM EECDH+ECDSA+SHA384 EECDH+ECDSA+SHA256 EECDH+aRSA+SHA384 EECDH+aRSA+SHA256 EECDH+aRSA+RC4 EECDH EDH+aRSA AES256-SHA RC4 !aNULL !eNULL !LOW !3DES !MD5 !EXP !PSK !SRP !DSS !RC4"
And now I can load the webpage in the IE 11 browser.
Note that when I ran the ssllabs.com test again, it downgraded the site to an A- probably because the cipher did not offer Forward Secrecy (notated with a small orange ‘No FS’) on the report,
I decided that this is an okay grade in order to allow IE 11 to access the site, but hopefully Microsoft figures it out.