Can Not Open PDF Documents with Adobe Reader From Internet Explorer Browser
We’ve run into some client machines that have had trouble opening PDF documents from within a browser.
Typically this is because there is an older version of Acrobat or Acrobat Reader that is or was installed on the computer and the browser has some sort of corrupt reference to it.
To correct this problem follow these steps.
- Open up Each version of Acrobat Reader or Acrobat that you have on your system.
- Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Internet and make sure the box to Display PDF in browser is unchecked.
- Click OK and close Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, proceed to the next step once you have done this for all versions
- Open the latest version of Acrobat Reader
- Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Internet and check the Display PDF in browser box.
- Save and Close Acrobat Reader.
You should now be able to open PDF files from within your browser.
In some cases the error will occur again after an Adobe update to the software. I cant explain this but if you uncheck the Display PDF in browser box and save the setting in the MOST RECENT version of Acrobat Reader last, this seems to allow PDF documents to open in the latest Adobe Reader version outside of the browser which may have some “corrupted” internal mapping to the incorrect version of the older Acrobat version.