When Should I Update My App?
You should always update your app when new security features are released to ensure that your information and the sensitive info of your users is as safe as possible from cyber attacks and security breaches. This article will discuss things to monitor so you know when it’s time to update your app due to security concerns. It will also discuss other occasions when you may want to update your app to ensure that your users are getting the best experience possible.
This article will answer the following questions:
What systems/infrastructure should I monitor for app updates?
Watch for security patches and updates released for your app that help you monitor suspicious activity, vulnerabilities, malicious code, or data breaches. These patches and updates can come from many sources which are offered through AWS or a third-party service or vendor:
- Vulnerability Scanning and Patching Services provide tools and resources to identify and patch security vulnerabilities. These usually include regular scans to identify threats in addition to patches and security updates to protect against future attacks.
- Malware Detection and Removal Services detect, protect against, and remove malware that infiltrates computer systems. It scans for malicious software and when found, it removes the threat and restores the system to its pre-infected state.
- Web Application Firewalls (WAF) filter and monitor web traffic to and from an application. They also block malicious requests by identifying and preventing common attack methods. These methods include SQL injection, cross-site scripting, and malicious file uploads.
- Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) detect, respond, and prevent cybersecurity threats such as unauthorized access, data breaches, malware, and suspicious network traffic. By doing so, they keep networks and data secure.
- Encryption Services use complex algorithms to scramble data. This makes the data unintelligible to anyone who doesn’t have a special key. In this manner, it protects the data from unauthorized access.
- Network Security protects the integrity and confidentiality of data sent over a network by preventing unauthorized access, malicious attacks, and data breaches. It does this by implementing measures including firewalls, encryption, and authentication protocols.
- App-dependent software. This includes any software that your app needs to exist. This can include Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP and many others.
What software products should I monitor for updates?
Although not part of the app itself, your app still depends on the operating system (OS) and devices it runs on as well as possible third party apps and APIs that are integrated into your app. When a new version or update of an operating system (OS), a third party app that your app is dependent upon, or an API is released, it may be time to update your app. These types of updates often contain fixes to identified security vulnerabilities.
There are other reasons, though not as critical as security, why updating or releasing new versions of any of the above software might be a time to look into updating your app:
- Your app may not be completely compatible with a new version of the software. This is often true when the layout of the OS or app has changed. Your app may not appear correctly on the newer version. It could also cause your app to not work correctly or to be more prone to crashes.
- By updating your app, it can take advantage of new features that the OS, app, or API might offer. This could enhance your user’s experience which could help you attract and gain more users.
How can I track updates across all systems?
You need to start by creating a list of all of the systems, software, and APIs that you need to monitor. You can use this list with examples to come out with your own list. Keep in mind that the examples given here are just a few of a more extensive list:
- Operating Systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android)
- Server Software (Apache, Nginx, IIS)
- Database Software (MySQL, MSSql, MongoDB, PostgreSQL)
- Security Software (antivirus, firewalls)
- Programming Languages (PHP, Python, Java)
- Third-Party Libraries ( jQuery, Bootstrap, ReactJS, Vue.js, Angular)
- APIs (Stripe, Facebook, Google)
- Web Frameworks (Django, Rails, Node.js)
The best way to ensure that you are notified of updates to the above systems, OS, or APIs is to subscribe to the product’s mailing list or other notification service. Most companies that create and maintain software products offer notifications and will send you notices when there are updates or new versions available. You can also follow the product on social media platforms or occasionally check the product’s website to stay up-to-date and to check for new releases.
Besides security, what factors should I also consider for updating my app?
There are other times when you may wish to update your app:
- When new features are added to your app. Updating your app when you add new features improves the app’s functionality and performance. It also improves user experience. This can drive more users to download the app and increase user loyalty.
- When users provide valuable feedback. User feedback often indicates how well an app is performing and identifies potential problems. Being mindful of user feedback and considering it for updates can ensure that the app is running smoothly and effectively, and keeps the app relevant and up-to-date with the latest trends, technologies, and user-preferences. In addition, when users see that their feedback is valued, it helps to build trust, provides users an incentive to keep using it, ensures that users will continue to find the app valuable, and provides them an incentive to keep using it.
What are some best practices when updating my app?
When it is time to update an app, there are several things to consider:
- Inform users about upcoming updates ahead of time. This includes when an update will occur and changes or features included in the update. This prevents confusion or disruption of service when the update is released and allows users to better understand the update and prepare for it.
- Avoid updating your app during peak usage times. During these times, more people are using the app so disruptions and possible performance issues or crashes will impact more people and be more keenly felt.
- Test your app thoroughly before releasing the update. By testing your app, you can hopefully avoid any performance issues that the users could experience upon its release.
- Encourage user feedback. Feedback can ensure that the updates meet the needs of the users and identify any problems or areas of improvement the updated app may have. By understanding user preferences, developers can create more engaging experiences that are tailored to the specific needs of their audience.
- After the update, monitor your app’s performance. This can help you to quickly identify any issues that may have been introduced by the update. These can include bugs or incompatibilities with other apps or services. You can also determine if the app improved the user’s experience. This information can provide valuable information for future updates and changes.
Matraex is a premier software and app development company based in Boise, ID. We would like to unbiasedly answer all of your app development questions so you can be an informed consumer when making important business decisions regarding app development.
Feel free to contact us, leave a note on the messaging feature on our website, or put a question on our Google Business Profile page. We look forward to talking with you.
Sign up to receive answers to your questions delivered directly to your inbox!