Many businesses, organizations, and institutions are opting to develop an app and put the app in an app store for customers, clients, or patients to utilize. What are the steps to getting an app in an app store? This article goes through the steps necessary to get your app placed in an app store.
The steps for putting your app on an app store are as follows:
1. Develop and test the app
You first need an app that can be submitted. This involves designing, developing, and testing an app. This process will be handled by your app developer with your collaboration. It also involves creating a plan for your app and researching the market to make certain your app will stand out from the crowd.
From there, your developer, possibly with the assistance of a UX/UI designer and your input, will design your app, create a prototype, develop your app, and test it to make certain that it functions properly and that it is user friendly and intuitive. The app also needs to be secure, protect the user’s sensitive information, and be aesthetically pleasing and easy to use. Then, you’re ready to publish your app on the app store.
2. Obtain a Developer Account
Sign up and acquire a Google Play Developer Account to publish apps on Android devices or an Apple Developer Account to put apps on Apple devices.
The name on the account depends on who owns the app’s code. In some cases, it may be the developer. In many cases, it will be the name of the business or the founder. Finding out who will own the code is an important question to ask app developers you are considering to partner with to develop your app.
To set up a developer account, you will need to provide a valid credit card, an email address, and a legal business entity (for example, a company, organization, or sole proprietorship).
- For Google, you also need to provide a developer name which will be publicly displayed in the Google Play Store. This can be your name or the name of your company if you are in possession of the app. Google also requires a one-time registration fee of $25 USD.
- For Apple, you will also need to provide contact info. This includes address and phone number. They also require business entity information such as a D-U-N-S number or Employer Identification Number, a Federal Tax ID Number, and an Apple ID. It may also be time to apply for an EIN if you do not already have one. Apple’s registration fee is $99 USD.
3. Upload your app to the store
Once you have a developer account, upload the app to the store via the developer console. You app is not published. It has simply been uploaded to the platform.
4. Prepare the app for publishing
Before submitting an app for publication in its respective app store, there are certain things to complete to ensure that your app is approved. Both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store have specific guidelines, but there are similarities:
- Give your app a name.
- Decide if your app will be free or if you will charge. If it is going to cost, determine the cost. Also determine the cost of in-app purchases.
- Write a compelling, specific description of your app for users to examine when they see the app in the app market. This description should include several specific things:
- A brief overview of the app, its purpose, and how it works.
- Some of the app’s features and any other relevant information that will help potential users understand the app’s functionality.
- A list of supported devices, operating systems. and languages the app supports.
- Other details that will help the app stand out.
Make your description clear and concise. If the description is vague or confusing, customers may not understand what the app does which can lead to a decrease in the number of downloads the app will receive.
- Take pictures of the app icon and screenshots of the app’s features to promote the app in the stores. Google also requires a promotional video for Android apps.
- Come up with relative keywords that might be used to search for the app.
You may also want to do keyword research and send in optimized pictures and graphics. Both stores house over a million apps, and you need to ensure that your app will be noticed and stand out amongst the competition.
5. Submit your app to the store and wait for approval
Problems that could cause your app to be rejected or stripped from the market once it’s published include the following::
- Violation of Third-Party Rights. Apps will be rejected if it infringes upon the rights of any third party. This includes copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or privacy rights.
- Privacy. An app must not collect user information without permission. Additionally, any data collected must be properly secured and handled in accordance with the user’s permission and applicable laws.
- Spam: Apps must not use spam tactics including sending unsolicited messages or displaying excessive advertising.
- Misleading Content: Apps cannot contain false, deceptive, or inaccurate information.
- Inappropriate Content. App stores have strict guidelines regarding the content that can be included in an app. If the content is deemed inappropriate, the app could be rejected.
- Security Issues: An app must be secure. It must protect user data and prevent malicious attacks.
- Technical Issues. App stores have many technical requirements. If your app does not meet those requirements, it could be rejected.
After submitting your app for publication, it will go through a review process. Apple aims to have applications approved within 24-48 hours while Google averages a three-day approval process. During their peak seasons for app publication requests, either store could take up to a week to approve an app.
6. Activate the app in the store
After your app is approved, you will be notified by email. For Google, you can publish the app on the Play Store as soon as it’s approved or activate the app yourself. For Apple, upon approval, log onto your account and click the “Ready for Sale” button to activate it.
Matraex is a premier app and software development company located in Boise, ID. We understand that developing an app is a time-consuming and costly endeavor. We would like to give you unbiased answers to your app development questions so you can be an informed consumer.
Contact us, leave a message on the direct message feature on our website, or leave a question on our Google Business Profile. We look forward to talking with you.
In a world of ever-increasing access, privacy is becoming more and more crucial to users.
Why would someone want to hide an app? It’s a valid question. Are you the person that wants to hide one? Or are you the person that wants to discover how someone is? Interesting questions right? We don’t need those answers by the way. Reasons you might want to hide them are down below!
Maybe you’re a neat freak and you’ve downloaded so many apps that your phone’s home screen gives you anxiety. That’s totally fine! We have the fix which we’ll share further down.
Got a video game on your phone that you don’t want others to discover you’re playing? Maybe you told your family, your spouse, or friends that you gave up your addiction? There’s a fix for you too!
Do you allow your children to use your phone but worry they might do some online shopping? Just hide the app! Or do you let people borrow your phone but don’t want them snooping around your mobile banking app? Just hide it!
Whatever your reason for wanting to hide an app on your iPhone here’s how you do it:
Step 1: Tap and hold your iPhone home screen (the one where all of your app icons are floating)
Step 2: You’ll see a minus sign pop up on each app and tap the one on the app that you want to hide
Step 3: You’ll have 3 options. Delete App, Remove from Home Screen, and Cancel select Remove from Home Screen
Your app is now hidden…BUT! It can still be found if you do a spotlight search!
Want to totally hide it from prying eyes? Just do the following:
Step 1: Open settings (the gear icon)
Step 2: Scroll to the app you’d like to hide from search
Step 3: Tap Siri and Search
Step 4: You’ll see the “While Searching” section. Tap the green toggle for Show App in Search
Now your app can’t be searched for and it’s hidden from the home screen. That is how you hide your apps! Now, there are third-party apps that can actually hide your app icon, and disguise them under the image of a different app icon. To date users claim that the best app for this is HiddenVault.
Bonus! Here’s how to hide an entire page of apps at the same time!
Step 1: On the home screen where you see all of your floating app icons simply tap and hold
Step 2: Your apps will begin shaking and the minus signs will pop up again. At the bottom of your screen, you will see dots (these represent how many pages of apps you have)
Step 3: Tap the dots
Step 4: Check the pages that you want viewable and uncheck the pages you want to hide
Now the page that you unchecked will be hidden from view!
Have you heard of Augmented Reality? Want to learn more about it? We’d love to send you a free guide! Just put your info in the form below!
If you’re looking to put your apps on an external device, an SD Card might be the best option.
We haven’t encountered a situation where we would need an app placed onto an SD card yet but if you wanted to transfer it here’s how.
We’re pulling these steps from Business Insider, we recommend you go to their site and read the full article here.
How to move apps to an SD card from an Android
- Open the Settings app and tap “Apps.”
- Tap an app that you want to move to the storage card.
- On the app’s details page, you should see a section called “Storage,” which summarizes how much space the app is taking up on your phone’s internal storage — tap “Storage.”
- You should see that the storage being used is Internal Storage. Tap “Change” and then, in the pop-up window, choose the storage card.
- To move the app to your SD card, just tap “Change” and then choose the SD card.
- On the next page, tap “Move.”
- When it’s done, the app will now be located on the SD card.
Bear in mind that the option to move to an external storage device is only available if the developer themselves has enabled that functionality. Not every app can do this, and not every phone can either. Apple devices are not manufactured with an external device slot. If you’re one that likes to transfer apps between devices this might be a downfall. Also, having the option to insert an SD card does help free up some of the storage on your Android device.